Chef Merina Koly holds the attention of 40 people at the Whistler Convention Centre with talk of kava root and spirulina.
Koly, who previously worked with the Nita Lake Lodge, is explaining the benefits of a raw food diet in a Nourish Luncheon during Cornucopia on Friday, Nov. 14.
She is currently planning a raw food bar in Yaletown called Zend Conscious Lounge.
“Russian garlic from Osoyoos could knock a horse over,” she tells her audience, most of whom have little experience in eating raw meal – meals which combine organic, unprocessed and, unsurprisingly, uncooked foods.
“I feel passionate about our foods and the disconnect that people feel,” she tells them.
Koly wants each of us to make our own raw pizzas, supplying participants with a crust made from seed, parsley and pine nuts, along with toppings hand made in front of us. Avocado substitutes for cheese.
With two full days left in the 2014 edition of Cornucopia, there are still plenty of dinners, seminars and tastings to try out.
• Cru Executive Chef Alana Peckham opens the day as part of the Culinary Stage Series at 10 a.m. at the Whistler Conference Centre.
• The Art of Festive Fondues – Lunch and Learn takes place at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler at 11:30 a.m.
• A special lunch is being creating in a private home by Solfeggio at noon.
• The Art of Holiday Cocktails – Mixology Master Class takes place at the Fairmont at 5 p.m.
• “Poured”, which is an intimate tasting experience of wine, spirits, cider, beer and food. Ticket prices include your own glass to take home and five tokens that can be used for food or wine sampling.
• The Art of Edible Centerpieces at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler at 9:30 a.m.
• The Art of Holiday Cooking – Interactive Cooking Demonstration and Festive Feast at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler at 11:30 a.m.
• Culinary Stage Series: Chef Luis Valenzuela Robles: Barbacoa de Cordero al estilo at the Whistler Conference Centre at 2:30 p.m.
• Syrah: The Straight Goods at the Whistler Conference Centre at 4:30 p.m.
For more information and tickets visit www.whistlercornucopia.com.
October 22, 2016, 9:15 AM
Council briefs: Tech committee endorsed; does Whistler need a new tagline? More...
October 21, 2016, 11:40 AM
Governments announce $3.2 million for natural gas compressor and fuelling station More...
October 20, 2016, 1:02 AM
Residents requiring extensive repairs are eligible for a maximum $1,000 rebate More...