Council has signaled it will be moving ahead with the Mons Road industrial rezoning though it has yet to officially adopt the bylaws.
Mayor Nancy Wilhelm-Morden thanked developer Steve Bayly, who was sitting in the audience at Tuesday's council meeting, for coming back to the table to negotiate after council sent his project back to staff more than a month ago.
She specifically thanked him for not involving his lawyers, though he threatened to do so following delays last month.
"We took heat for it but I think it was the right thing to do," said the mayor of council's delay in an effort to find more information.
"Hopefully, we'll have a better development as a result."
Municipal planner Melissa Laidlaw updated council on the negotiations over the past month. Among other things Bayly, and his business partner Nigel Woods, agreed to a maximum build out of 200,000 square feet on the site — a far cry from the potential last month of half a million square feet that council was told was the maximum when it was asked to approve the final bylaws at the August 21 meeting.
Staff also outlined the uses in the new CTI1 zone. The allowable uses in the zone are "very limited" in comparison to the zones in Function Junction, said Laidlaw.
Among the uses are: indoor and outdoor recreation, fuel service station, recycling depot for household goods, vehicle impound, taxi dispatch and storage yard and landscaping services.
Though he supported the rezoning and applauded the applicants for coming back to the table, Councillor Jayson Faulkner still expressed some reservations about the impact of the project on Function Junction.
"I still think there's going to be some competitive pressure on Function Junction," he said, referring specifically to the indoor recreation uses.
While that's unfortunate, he said, to some extent council was running out of options.
It was the work of previous councils who passed first three bylaws and the public hearing of this rezoning, moving it forward to this stage.
Meanwhile, in an about-face of last week's letter critical of council's delay in handling the Mons rezoning, the local chapter of the Canadian Home Builders' Association has retracted its initial letter to council.
CHBA president Eric Prall, who wrote the first letter, sent a second letter this week to Mike Furey, chief administrative officer at the municipality, retracting the CHBA's letter dated Sept. 4.
"Unfortunately the letter was not thoroughly vetted nor edited internally and does not represent the opinion of the CHBA Sea to Sky," Prall wrote.
"We place much importance on our productive and collaborative relationship with the Resort Municipality of Whistler. We are very pleased by the level of professionalism and understanding demonstrated by the council and mayor along with the staff in fostering a collaborative and stable confidence-filled environment for the building and development community.
March 24, 2017, 1:00 PM
Blackcomb Helicopters offers rebuttal to Whistler FIRST proposal More...
March 23, 2017, 2:40 PM
Coach companies polled divided on potential fee-for-service model More...
March 23, 2017, 2:35 PM
Police Briefs: Vancouver arrested in stabbing incident; Rash of vehicle thefts More...