Thats the message from Whistlers Mayor Hugh OReilly in response to questions about the 5,000-seat Paralympic ice arena being moved out of Whistler to Squamish.
The details of that proposal are not yet public as negotiations continue but the mayor Monday asked for trust in council as they work to find a solution, which works for everyone.
"Were asking the community to trust us a little bit, that were trying to come away with the best options for ourselves long-term and maybe (leave) the legacy for one of the other communities because thats what partners do," said OReilly after Mondays council meeting.
After reading a prepared statement at the meeting, the mayor later confirmed that council is pursuing an option which would see the Paralympic ice arena being built in Squamish, a second smaller ice rink built in Whistler and a financial contribution towards the athlete centre in the athletes village. While these details are more than whats been released in recent weeks, there remains a dearth of information about the proposal, particularly the financial aspect of whats proposed.
Information to date indicates the Vancouver Organizing Committee was to have given Whistler $20 million to help build the arena.
VANOC spokesperson Renée Smith-Valade said this week the $20 million was offered to the RMOW as part of an overall package of facilities in Whistler.
"If the ice sledge hockey arena comes out of that package, then we would have to re-evaluate both location and budget," she said.
Under the new proposal, however, the mayor said most of the money would be staying in Whistler even if the Paralympic arena moves to Squamish.
"We think its a win-win situation," he said. "Its a sharing of the legacies. Wed come away with some fabulous facilities, significant investment is made here and it also contributes to their economy."
OReillys comments come on the heels of pressure to make public the details of negotiations for the Paralympic ice arena.
"When is the public going to get a look at these options?" pressed community member Bob Lorriman at Mondays meeting during the public question and answer period. "Were left out in the dark here."
He later added he was uncomfortable with the way council is moving forward without keeping the public more informed.
"Youve got to let us know whats going on so we can trust you," he said. "I think somewhere along the line they should have told us look, were having some challenges here, this might not work for us and they should have introduced that thought process to us at an earlier stage."
January 16, 2017, 10:00 AM
Last year saw 22-per-cent increase in real-estate sales activity More...
January 15, 2017, 12:00 PM
Council briefs: Kadenwood owners oppose new GFA rules; Visits to waste depots up over holidays More...
January 14, 2017, 11:40 AM
Residents, second homeowners will give their input via phone or web poll More...