A grass fire broke out on the Stawamus Reserve south of Squamish around 5:20 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 3, but was put out by 7:45 p.m. said Fire Chief Russ Inouye of Squamish Fire Rescue.
No homes were in danger from the fire, which he said burned a 100m x 100m patch of grass around half a kilometre from the nearest homes.
"We got out our team, did an assessment and initiated a fire attack, and at the same time notified BC Forest Service and requested their assistance. The attended and they brought in a helicopter... and they took over management of the wildfire... by then the fire was extinguished and they watched it overnight and into the morning," Inouye said
Squamish Nation resident Diana Billy had earlier said the fire was behind her sister Donna’s home .
“As long as the wind doesn’t change directions or the reserve is in trouble,” she said.
Billy said the fire was behind and north of Totem Hall, close to the waterfront at Howe Sound, but in a tough place for fire crews to reach because it is near the top of the mountain.
“(There is) no road access and the (fire) helicopter has to go put it out,” she said. “The fire truck tried to get to the fire, but couldn’t get close.”
October 25, 2016, 1:30 PM
Mountain clubs continue to push ski resort for improved access to Singing Pass area More...
October 24, 2016, 11:00 AM
Examining the parallels between backcountry recreation and addictive behaviours More...
October 23, 2016, 2:00 PM
Governments announce $3.2 million for natural gas compressor and fuelling station More...