The Heavy Hitting Horrorfest is back with a vengeance after a one-year hiatus, selling out all of its 1,100 seats in just a week.
"It's great to be back," says co-founder Feet Banks. "You take a year off and it feels good to be back with over 1,000 crazy horror freaks having a night that's for locals and trying to grow it. We sold most of the tickets to people who have been to it before. It's going to be great to see everyone again."
In total, organizers are expecting 19 to 20 horror film submissions for the contest. While not all the entries are in yet, some have come from as far away as Spain, Mexico, L.A. and Brazil. "We have multiple submissions from Spain," Banks says. "They somehow caught wind of us."
While he was waiting for all the films to roll in so he could screen them at once and decide on the order, Banks says he's taken a sneak peak at a few of the entries. "They're looking good," he says. "You never know what you're going to get. We're at the mercy of the filmmakers for what kind of show we're going to put on... It's a great mix. Some are music videos with action. There's a stop motion Lego animation, which is perfect for the spirit of (the event). I saw clips of some that are super gnarly. It seems like a mix of fun and light hearted to stuff you'd only want to see once in a room full of people."
Filmmakers have continued to deliver since the competition's inception back in 2002 as the B-Grade Horrorfest. It started out with screenings at the GLC, then Millennium Place until it grew big enough to take place at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler, where it will be held this year on Oct. 30.
Although it's sold out, Banks offers a little hope for those shut out of the gory fun. "Keep an eye on our Facebook page," he says. "We hold tickets back for filmmakers and some are from out of town. There's always a possibility in the last week that there will be a couple dozen tickets come available. We throw them up on the Facebook page."
Banks is also using social media in hopes of rounding out their panel of judges. "We always try to get guest judges," he says. "I've been tweeting everyone from Seth Rogen to James Franco. I even tweeted Miley Cyrus. You never know."
For more information on the Horrorfest — which will now include a party until 12 a.m. rather than 2 a.m., due to liquor license issues — visit heavyhitting.com.
Tapley's Farm Halloween celebrates 30 years
Around 800 kids are expected to descend upon Tapley's Farm this Halloween to trick-or-treat and enjoy a fireworks display.
The spooky Whistler tradition is celebrating its 30th anniversary with trick- or-treating kicking off at 5:30 p.m. and a fireworks display at 7:30 p.m.
The area will be closed to traffic, but shuttles decorated by the Waldorf School will run from Marketplace to Tapley's from 5 p.m. until 9 p.m. Families are asked to bring donations to the food bank. Prizes will also be awarded to the top three decorated houses and the best costumes.
September 29, 2016, 1:03 AM
Nine units being assessed to help determine overall repair costs More...
September 29, 2016, 1:02 AM
Local accountant drafts financial model for worker camp More...
September 29, 2016, 1:01 AM
Whistler Blackcomb shareholders and B.C. Supreme Court still need to approve takeover More...