A man killed in a worksite explosion near Pemberton last week has been identified by the BC Coroners Service as 39-year-old Dominic Joubert, of Terrebonne, Que.
"Mr. Joubert was unloading explosives ready for destruction into an incinerator when the incinerator detonated," said a Nov. 25 news release from the Coroners Service.
"Mr. Joubert was struck by pieces from the incinerator and was declared deceased at the scene."
The investigation into the Nov. 18 incident is ongoing.
Whistler and Pemberton RCMP were called to the scene — about 50 kilometres northwest of Pemberton near Pebble Creek Hot Springs — just after 10 p.m. that night
"We received a report that there had been an explosion at the worksite," said Sgt. Rob Knapton of the Whistler RCMP, in a release.
"The incident occurred when workers were handling explosives, killing a 39-year-old male working at the site."
A second employee was transported to the Lower Mainland for treatment. He has since been released from hospital.
Both men are employed by Quebec-based company CRT-EBC — one of the main contractors on the project.
"This is a terrible and tragic loss for us and all of our employees, here and across the country. We join with our employees in sending our sincerest condolences to the family of the deceased," CRT-EBC project director Serge Moalli said in a release.
"Safety is a top priority on this work site and for CRT-EBC Construction. We are cooperating fully with the authorities to determine how this tragic incident occurred."
Innergex Renewable Energy Inc is overseeing the independent power project.
"We are shocked and saddened by what has happened, and first of all, our thoughts and prayers are going out to the families of the workers involved," said Bas Brusche, director of public affairs for Innergex, on November 19.
"We're still in the early process of investigating what exactly has happened and why it could have occurred and we don't have the answers yet," Brusche said, adding that Innergex is fully cooperating with the investigation.
Whistler and Pemberton RCMP are conducting an investigation parallel to the provincial coroner and WorkSafe BC, said Staff Sgt. Steve LeClair on Nov. 24.
No charges have been laid.
WorkSafe BC is considering issuing orders, but nothing has been finalized yet, said WorkSafe spokesperson Scott McCloy.
"If we determine that there is non-compliance of a health and safety issue, then we will issue orders to correct that non compliance," McCloy said, adding that the employer would have rights of appeal if such an order were issued.
WorkSafe will also be examining the health and safety history of the project, McCloy said.
"We don't have a timeframe at the moment on the length of time this will take," he said.
"It's a complex investigation, it's going to take awhile, so our goal is to proceed carefully and expeditiously, but this could take well into next year."
December 1, 2016, 3:00 PM
Beloved Whistler painter passed away aged 40 More...
December 1, 2016, 1:03 AM
Solutions require collaboration, local MP says More...
December 1, 2016, 1:02 AM
local non-profit ships bikes to developing world More...