Another quiet New Year’s for RCMP 

Whistler was relatively tame ringing in the 2010 New Year, with RCMP officers only arresting 31 people for being drunk in public and causing a disturbance.

Staff Sgt. Steve LeClair attributes the quiet New Year to people being more aware of the heavy police presence in Whistler now on busy weekends like First Night and May Long Weekend.

"This is my third New Year's here, and this one was certainly quieter than last year and the year before that," said LeClair. "It was a nice family vibe in the village, and then of course, later in the evening, the families were replaced by young revelers. But for the most part people were very well behaved."

Between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., there were 96 files, which included calls for service and people being drunk in public.

In Whistler Village, 16 of the 35 people arrested received tickets under the Liquor Control Licensing Act for being drunk in public, and the bylaw department issued 35 tickets for open liquor and one for obstructing a police officer.

LeClair added on the roads, there were 11 charges under the Motor Vehicle Act for various traffic offenses, including failure to wear seatbelts, failure to produce insurance and moving violations, and there were three 24-hour suspensions issued due to alcohol. Also, there were two Motor Vehicle Act Warnings.

RCMP officers also attended a few noisy house parties in some of Whistler's subdivisions, but they didn't issue any bylaw tickets and there were no reports of any assaults throughout Whistler.

Last year 35 people were arrested. In 2008 there were 40 arrests; in 2007 there were 33 arrests and in 2006 there were 21. All these numbers are significantly down from 2001, when RMCP officers arrested a total of 106 people.

Snowboarders got lost in backcountry

The Whistler RCMP is reminding anyone who travels into the backcountry this winter to make sure they have proper equipment, training and knowledge of the area.

The warning comes after two seasonal foreign workers got lost in the backcountry of Whistler Mountain on Sunday, Jan. 3 rd , at 2 p.m.

The boarders, aged 21 and 22, hiked up the Flute summit for 50 to 60 metres before going under the ropes, said Staff Sgt. Steve LeClair. They rode down the backside of Flute before realizing they were lost.

LeClair said the snowboarders were not equipped for backcountry travel, and they didn't have shovels, avalanche beacons, probes, snowshoes or split boards with skins.

After getting lost, the two boarders called a friend by cell phone, who then contacted ski patrol. A search was then coordinated with RCMP officers who were already on the mountain doing police ski patrol duties.

Readers also liked…

Latest in Whistler

More by Claire Piech

© 1994-2020 Pique Publishing Inc., Glacier Community Media

- Website powered by Foundation