Break and enter suspect investigated in string of thefts 


A 32-year-old male from Vancouver was arrested on suspicion of two counts of break and enter in the early hours of Tuesday morning, as well as for breaching an earlier condition to stay out of Whistler. More charges are being considered. The RCMP is investigating to see whether the same individual was responsible for a rash of thefts on the morning of Aug. 19.

The RCMP received a report at 3:44 a.m. on Aug. 24 that a break and enter was in progress at a ski and snowboard business in the village. The officers who were in the area responding to an alarm from another robbery attempt saw the male fleeing the scene.

They police gave chase and cornered the male in a forested area. They then called in the police dog team to track him down. The man spent all of Tuesday in custody before being taken to court in North Vancouver on Wednesday to answer his breach charges.

According to Staff Sergeant Steve LeClair, the RCMP are now investigating to see if the male was involved in a string of robberies reported on Aug. 19. The RCMP received the first call at 4:45 a.m. that six lockers on the 1400 block of Alpha Lake Road had been broken into. Several items were stolen, including stereos, barbecues, tools and other items stored by owners.

The individual was caught on a security camera, but no licence plate number was visible on the footage.

At 6 a.m. the RCMP received a report of two stolen Ultra Motor electric bikes valued at $3,300 each from a Whistler business's underground storage area and parking garage. Once again images of the thief were caught on video.

Finally, the RCMP received word at 7:22 a.m. that an alarm was tripped and that a break and enter was in progress at a restaurant on Main Street. The burgler used a tool to break into a wooden door and stole six dummy Remy cognac bottles he likely didn't realize were filled with water. He also stole two computer screens and towers valued at $2,000.

The RCMP are investigating the Aug. 19 cases separately, as well as the possibility that they could be related to each other - and to the attempted break-ins that were averted on Tuesday morning.


Banks targeted in fraud

A thief stole more than $30,000 from local banks last week in a scam that involved setting up accounts using a false name. The thief used bank machines to deposit fraudulent cheques and then withdrew the money.

The RCMP were alerted to the scam on Aug. 20, and immediately started an investigation. There are video stills of the individual, who is described as five-foot-five with Spanish or native features. He had a dark complexion, brown eyes and a distinctive haircut.

Readers also liked…

Latest in Whistler

© 1994-2019 Pique Publishing Inc., Glacier Community Media

- Website powered by Foundation