Cousineau, Guay lead Canadian charge in technical events 

Austrian men fail to win a medal at 2010 Winter Olympics


Nobody was more relieved than 200 tired Weasel Workers when the alpine speed events wrapped up Feb. 21, leaving just the shorter technical events.

However, the weather didn't entirely cooperate and a mix of snow, fog and rain created a whole new set of headaches for race organizers.

The men's giant slalom took place Feb. 23 with Swiss and Norwegian skiers stepping up to dominate the podium. Carlo Janka of Switzerland earned the second alpine gold medal for his country. He was followed by Kjetil Jansrud and Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway. Svindal's bronze was his third medal of the 2010 Olympic Games and completed his set, coming after a gold in super G and a silver in downhill.

Austrian skiers finished just off the podium once again with skiers in fourth, fifth and sixth place.

The top Canadian was Erik Guay, a speed specialist who followed up a mediocre first run with the second fastest time in the afternoon's race to place 16 th .

Robbie Dixon, also better known for speed events, was a respectable 24th out of 100 racers.

Guay said the results could have been different without injuries to team members Jean-Philippe Roy, John Kucera and Francois Bourque, Canada's best GS racers at the moment.

"You have to remember that we're a young team," he said. "We came in only 50 per cent. There's a lot of guys hurting right now. I think if we came in here full strength we'd be doing great things."

Dixon was disappointed with his result, but completed two solid runs. As he did in the downhill and super G he took a few chances and found himself putting on the brakes a little to stay on course in the GS. He didn't finish either the downhill or super G.

"It's been quite an experience," he said of the Games. "A few ups and downs - mostly downs - but my first Olympics in front of a home crowd, my family and friends, it's amazing. I'm a little disappointed how I did. A lot (disappointed). But it's been something that will stay with me."

The women's GS on Feb. 23 was challenging, with organizers making the decision to delay the second of two runs to the following day because of issues with visibility and snow - a decision many skiers were opposed to.

The day also had a few controversies. The number of skiers in the first run dictated that skiers started a minute apart - which meant that two skiers were on course at all times.

Readers also liked…

Latest in Features

More by Andrew Mitchell

© 1994-2019 Pique Publishing Inc., Glacier Community Media

- Website powered by Foundation