Hotel guest bloodied in apparent assault 

Police Briefs: Teenager busted on drug charge; woman dies on whistler mountain

click to enlarge FILE IMAGE
  • File image

A North Vancouver man was arrested last weekend after he allegedly assaulted and injured another man at a Whistler hotel.

Just after 10 p.m. on April 17, officers responded to a report of an assault and found two males outside the accommodation — one with visible injuries to his face, including a badly bruised eye, bloody mouth and broken teeth, police said. The victim, who was having trouble speaking and maintaining focus, was taken to the Whistler Health Care Clinic before being transported to a North Vancouver hospital for treatment.

After speaking with witnesses, hotel management, and reviewing security footage Mounties were able to track down the suspect with a group of males inside one of the hotel rooms, where the 23-year-old was arrested for assault causing bodily harm.

Another male in the room was uncooperative with police, said Whistler RCMP Staff Sgt. Steve LeClair, refusing to provide identification and subsequently resisting arrest.

"He continued to be uncooperative, resisted and had to be taken down to the ground by the officers," LeClair added.

The 24-year-old, also from North Vancouver, now faces obstruction charges.

Teen arrested on drug charge

A B.C. teen is facing drug charges after he was found in possession of a half gram of cocaine last weekend, police said.

The 18-year-old Beasley, B.C. resident was first spotted by officers on foot patrol with a group of four other males just before 1 a.m. on April 16 huddled in some woods behind a hotel on Sundial Place. As the officers approached, the group started to walk away, but not before leaving behind a black wallet, police said.

Inside the wallet, police found a baggie of suspected cocaine. The suspect told officers it belonged to him, and he was subsequently arrested. Mounties also located a three-inch folding knife, a rolled up $5 bill and some fake identification at the scene; however, the group claimed the items were there when they arrived.

The teenager was released with a court date for next month.

Whistler woman dead after incident on Whistler Mountain

A 48-year-old Whistler woman is dead after an April 13 incident on Whistler Mountain.

Whistler Blackcomb ski patrol was notified of an injured female skier located in the West Ridge area on Whistler Mountain at approximately 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, according to a release from Whistler Blackcomb.

"Five members of Whistler Ski Patrol, two mountain doctors and a paramedic responded immediately and found the skier unconscious and unresponsive," the release said.

"CPR was administered but despite the best efforts of responders, the female was pronounced deceased on scene. The skier was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident."

The RCMP is currently investigating the incident with the BC Coroners Service.

Whistler RCMP Sgt. Rob Knapton said the woman was found at the base of a 25-metre cliff.

"It looks like she went over this 25-metre cliff high above the Highway 86 on the Upper Peak to Creek," Knapton said.

The death marks the second fatality at Whistler Blackcomb in as many months — 33-year-old Whistler woman Sarah Prunier was found unresponsive in a tree well on Blackcomb Mountain on March 15.

"It is just unfortunately one of these things that happen, and it's always a tragedy," Knapton said.

A cause of death has not been determined, but "there was some significant injuries sustained in the fall," Knapton said.

- Braden Dupuis



Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Readers also liked…

Latest in Whistler

More by Brandon Barrett

© 1994-2019 Pique Publishing Inc., Glacier Community Media

- Website powered by Foundation