North Vancouver student drowns at Alice Lake 

Family and friends are mourning the loss of 17-year-old Lian Dun "Edward" Sun, who drowned at Alice Lake last Saturday while on a school trip.

According to reports, Sun jumped off a raft near the shore around 2:30 p.m. but never resurfaced. A friend immediately realized that Sun was not behind him and shouted for help. Searchers found the boy's body below the surface of the water near the raft. They detected a pulse when they brought him to shore and soon afterwards Sun was flown by air ambulance to B.C. Children's Hospital. He died just after midnight.

His mother, a recent immigrant to Canada, was reportedly by his side when he died.

Sun was taking English as a Second Language classes at Bodwell Secondary, a boarding school that offers ESL programs. He had been enrolled with the school since January.

The school regularly makes trips to Alice Lake, according to a spokesperson for Bodwell.


Police increase search for Jodi Henrickson

The RCMP returned to Bowen Island on the weekend to continue their search for evidence connected to the disappearance of Squamish teen Jodi Henrickson. The 17-year-old was last seen around dawn on June 20, 2009 by an ex-boyfriend who was walking home with her from a party.

According to the ex-boyfriend - who had previously been subject to a restraining order - they went separate ways following an argument. The initial search lasted several weeks with no evidence or arrests. In March the RCMP released a statement that they believe Henrickson was the victim of foul play.

The RCMP said they did not have any new information to prompt their return to the area, but said they were continuing to look for evidence in the Seven Hills area in the hope they might locate some of Henrickson's person effects.


Bear keeps RCMP busy

The Whistler RCMP called in the Conservation Office on Tuesday afternoon after a variety of bear aversion tactics - including bear bangers and rubber bullets - failed to deter a young bear from entering the village and day lots.

The bear is likely of yearling age and recently weaned from its mother. It's also been tagged with a blue tag on one ear.

The same bear is believed to have kept the RCMP busy for three days. It was chased out of the village, through the Upper Village and up Blackcomb on several occasions. Each time the bear returned to feed on garbage. On Tuesday afternoon - hours after being chased off the Village Stroll - it stole a lunch out of a vehicle in the day skier lots.

Readers also liked…

Latest in Whistler

© 1994-2020 Pique Publishing Inc., Glacier Community Media

- Website powered by Foundation