Pemberton woman drowns in Green River 

On Monday morning, RCMP and Search and Rescue members responded to a call that a woman swimming in the Green River below Nairn Falls had gone missing. After a short search, the body of a 39 year old Pemberton woman was located about 1 km south of the area she went missing.

According to the RCMP, the victim was camping at Nairn Falls and was swimming with another man when she disappeared. The man swam to shore to call for help.

The river is described as cold and swift moving in that area, and not recommended for swimming.

As of Wednesday afternoon RCMP were not releasing the victim’s name, pending notification of her next of kin. The Pemberton RCMP and B.C. Coroner’s Office are conducting an investigation.


Suspects sought in village assault

RCMP are looking for help finding a male suspect who assaulted two men outside of a Whistler bar at 2 a.m. on Saturday, July 26.

According to the RCMP, the suspect was described as an East Indian male in his mid-20s, approximately 5-feet, eight-inches tall, and 180 to 190 pounds. He had a shaved head and was wearing a white T-shirt that may have had a UFC insignia.

He was accompanied by another East Indian male, 5’10” with short spiky hair, who was wearing a red and black T-shirt with a UFC insignia, as well as three East Indian females. The suspects were last season running in the direction of Earl’s Restaurant.

If you were a witness and have any information that could assist the RCMP, contact 604-932-3044 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.


Two injured in vehicle accident

At approximately 2 a.m. on Sunday, July 27, Whistler RCMP responded to a vehicle collision 25 km north of Whistler in the Suicide Hill area. A northbound GMC Tracker traveled over the centre line and collided head-on with an RCMP vehicle heading south. The officer driving the vehicle was working at the Pemberton Music Festival.

Both drivers sustained non-life threatening injuries and were taken to the Pemberton Clinic for examination. The police officer was later released, while the female driver of the GMC Tracker was sent to North Vancouver for further treatment.

The accident prompted RCMP to close the highway for both directions for about an hour and a half before opening one lane. Both lanes opened at 4 a.m.

The RCMP are investigating the circumstances that lead to the incident.

Readers also liked…

Latest in Whistler

© 1994-2019 Pique Publishing Inc., Glacier Community Media

- Website powered by Foundation