Public's help sought after village brawl 

Three people were arrested after the RCMP attended a fight involving eight to 10 males on the Village Stroll Saturday morning

RCMP received several calls at roughly 1:25 a.m. on the morning of Dec. 4. When police arrived, two individuals were kicking and punching a person on the ground. Police intervened and at that point one of the individuals, identified as a 30-year-old male from Burnaby, attacked one of the police officers. The individual grabbed the officer's neck and tore his shirt.

That person was arrested an is now facing charges of assaulting a police officer, assault and the municipal offence of obstructing a police officer.

The other two that were arrested, a 27 year old from Burnaby and 26 year old from Port Coquitlam, were charged with various municipal offences, including being drunk in public.

No injuries were reported as a result of the fight.

It's believed that the fight started as a verbal altercation and that the two groups involved did not know each other beforehand.

However, the RCMP are looking for information from anyone who may have witnessed the fight. Contact 604-932-3044.


Man pulled from frozen creek

Members of the public heard a male calling for help just before 3 a.m. on the morning of Dec. 6, and called the police. The police attended and found a young male stuck in the creek between Whistler Mountain and Snowridge Crescent, partially submerged in water. With the help of Whistler Fire Services they managed to retrieve the 23-year-old resident, who was then treated for symptoms by the B.C. Ambulance Service.

According to police, the individual had been drinking and took a short-cut up the mountain to get home when he was caught in the creek.

"The people who called in did the guy a big favour, and may have saved his life," said Sergeant Steve LeClair of the Whistler RCMP.


Police called to motor vehicle accidents

With clear roads and a break in snow the number of motor vehicle accidents reported this past week was down, although the police did attend a pair of motor vehicle accidents.

The most recent was on Tuesday morning. At approximately 6:16 a.m. a southbound Ford F250 went off the highway, just south of Alta Lake Road. The driver and one passenger were not injured, while a second passenger was sent to the Whistler Health Care Centre with minor injuries.

Because part of the vehicle was still on the road, traffic was slowed and then stopped to allow a tow truck to retrieve the truck. The road was reopened after 8 a.m., but there was traffic for roughly half an hour.

No charges have been laid against the driver.

At 6:44 p.m. on Dec. 5, the RCMP attended a single vehicle accident on Highway 99 in Pemberton and found a vehicle that had driven across the opposite lane and into the ditch. The driver was taken to the clinic for treatment to injuries. Police requested and obtained blood samples as part of an impaired driving investigation, which is continuing.

There were other impaired calls this week.

At 8:32 p.m. on Dec. 4, the Whistler RCMP stopped a driver during a patrol for flashing his high beams. After stopping the driver, they detected the smell of alcohol and issued the approved roadside screening device. They determined that the driver had a blood-alcohol content of 0.011, which is well below the "warn" range of 0.05. However, as a new driver, the 21 year old from Whistler is forbidden from driving with any alcohol in his system. As a result he received a 12-hour driving prohibition and his vehicle was towed.

On Tuesday, Dec. 7 at 12:34 a.m. the police observed an individual leave a Creekside pub and get into his vehicle. One of the officers recognized the vehicle from a previous encounter involving driving with expired insurance. When the vehicle rolled through a stop sign they stopped the car and detected the odour of alcohol. The driver, a 43-year-old Whistler male, admitted to drinking, and subsequently failed the roadside test. He was issued an Immediate Roadside Prohibition of 90 days, and a mandatory 30-day impound.


Men arrested for possession

At 2:22 a.m. on Dec. 2 the police saw a man smoking what appeared to be a joint in Village Square, and then detected the odour of marijuana at the scene. The male, a 33 year old from Whistler, was arrested and searched. They found one container containing the remains of the joint, a container with pills believed to be drugs. He was arrested for possession of a controlled substance.

Dec. 4 at 11:50 p.m. the police observed three males outside a local nightclub that "were behaving in an unusual manner." The police investigated and a 25-year-old male from West Vancouver was found in possession of seven MDMA tablets, a quantity of marijuana and four baggies of a substance believed to be cocaine. He was also arrested for possession of a controlled substance.




Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Readers also liked…

Latest in Whistler

More by Andrew Mitchell

© 1994-2019 Pique Publishing Inc., Glacier Community Media

- Website powered by Foundation