RCMP arrest man for credit card fraud, thefts 

31-year-old charged with fraud, possession of stolen property

After receiving a tip from a Creekside-area business, the RCMP apprehended a man in the Marketplace at 3:25 p.m. on Jan. 6 and arrested him for breach of his probation conditions, specifically an order not to purchase or possess alcohol.

On further investigation it was revealed that the man was in possession of five fraudulent credit cards and property purchased with the cards, and receipts indicating three frauds in Sea to Sky.

The man, identified as a 31-year-old male from Richmond, has been charged with two counts of failing to comply, fraud from a business in Whistler, two counts of fraud for businesses in Creekside, fraud at a Squamish business, possession of property obtained by crime and five counts of possessing fraudulent credit cards. The police are investigating the suspect for making up to $7,000 in fraudulent purchases from a store in Squamish over a period of weeks and more charges may be laid.

The man has two prior arrests in recent years. In 2009 he was arrested and convicted for assault in Alberta, and released with the condition not to possess alcohol and to abstain from the consumption of alcohol. In June of 2010 he was arrested for mischief, breach and harassment in Abbotsford, and was also given the condition not to consume or possess alcohol.

The male was held in custody and taken to Vancouver to answer the breach charges.

According to the RCMP he was using the fraudulent credit cards to purchase liquor and Visa gift cards.


Snowstorm leads to three rollovers

The slush turned to ice quickly on Friday evening, Jan. 7, resulting in three motor vehicle accident reports within 40 minutes on Highway 99 north of the village.

The first report came in on 5:30 p.m. on Friday at Highway 99 on Emerald Drive, where a northbound Toyota Tacoma slid across the centre line, then back over the northbound lane into the ditch where it rolled over on its side.

The driver, described as a 52-year-old Whistler female, was not injured and no charges were laid. The police attended the scene and noted that the road was too slippery to even walk on safely, and called in a salt truck.

But 15 minutes later the RMP received a report of another rollover where a northbound vehicle ended up in the southbound ditch near the helipad. Again, there were no injuries or charges.

The third call came in at 6:07 p.m. and involved a Toyota 4Runner that was heading northbound on the Mons Bridge, crossed the line and crashed into the barrier on the southbound guard rail. The vehicle hit hard enough that the air bags deployed, although the driver was not injured. The damage was estimated in the $15,000 range.

Readers also liked…

Latest in Whistler

More by Andrew Mitchell

© 1994-2019 Pique Publishing Inc., Glacier Community Media

- Website powered by Foundation