RCMP has ‘no idea’ when charges may be laid in connection with highway fatalities 

Police Briefs: Man drives in wrong direction on Hwy. 99; cyclist injured trying to avoid car

click to enlarge FILE IMAGE
  • File image

It’s been a month since a deadly highway accident outside of Pemberton that claimed the lives of three people.

And despite police saying they suspect the driver of the vehicle may have been impaired at the time, charges have yet to be laid in connection with the incident that killed Whistler cyclists Ross Chafe and Kelly Blunden, along with a passenger in the car, the Lil’wat’s Paul Pierre Jr.

“I don’t know how much you know about how these investigations go, but we rely on a lot of support agencies and investigative tools, so time is not really on our side sometimes when it comes to waiting for things,” explained Cpl. Ronda Rempel, with BC RCMP Traffic Services. “I really couldn’t tell you (if charges will be laid) this month from next month, three months from now, I really have no idea. Obviously this is a huge priority for the officers who are on the file and it’s moving ahead and very active, but other than that I can’t provide a timeline.”

When pressed again as to why police believe the driver was impaired, Rempel said she would “feel very uncomfortable commenting on that part.”

CBC has previously reported that, according to court files, the driver in the incident was on condition not to drive and had been convicted on several impaired driving charges in the past.

Rempel has previously said she’s not sure if a blood-alcohol test was administered following the crash.

Police are also no longer trying to track down the occupants of a dark-coloured SUV who were believed to have witnessed the incident.

“The witnesses we were trying to locate in the black SUV were able to speak to someone else who was able to offer some good information, so we’re not really pushing that anymore,” added Rempel.

RCMP continued to urge patience for those looking for answers in a case that has so far offered little in the way of details to the public.

“We know that the public sometimes doesn’t understand why this is taking so long and the behind-the-scenes challenges, and really, just the timing of these investigations,” Rempel said. “So we really just hope you can let your community know that it is being worked on, it is very much a priority, and obviously the officers want to do a really good job and that takes time.”

Vancouver man drives into oncoming traffic, is arrested for drug possession

A Vancouver man who reportedly drove in the wrong direction down Highway 99 on June 28 was later found in possession of a controlled substance.

At 4 a.m., police were alerted to a vehicle traveling north in the southbound lane. Officers located and stopped the vehicle, when they found the driver was in possession of what police believe was cocaine.

The 30-year-old man refused a roadside screening test and was subsequently issued a 90-day license suspension.

He was released with a promise to appear in court.

Cyclist injured in fall trying to avoid oncoming vehicle

A cyclist was injured last week while trying to avoid an oncoming vehicle on Highway 99.

Police said the man fell while attempting to avoid a vehicle near the Soo River Forest Service Road that was trying to “pass a dump truck in an unsafe manner, coming into his lane,” explained Sgt. Rob Knapton with the Whistler RCMP.

The cyclist was taken to a local medical centre for treatment.

The driver of the vehicle was issued tickets for various infractions, police said.

Man who claims coworkers assaulted him gets arrested for being intoxicated

It was probably an awkward day at the office for a Whistler man who told police his coworkers assaulted him — only to be arrested himself for public intoxication.

RCMP received the report just after 11 p.m. on June 24 from a man who said his fellow employees attacked him at a staff party.

Police located the caller nearby, who was “belligerent and intoxicated,” said Knapton.

He was subsequently arrested and held in custody until he was no longer a danger to himself and others, police said.

Intoxicated Victoria man flees police after trying to start fight

A 29-year-old Victoria man was arrested June 27 after he reportedly tried to start a fight in Village Square and then fled police.

When officers initially attempted to apprehend the man, who exhibited signs of intoxication, he ran away before being caught and restrained.

He was held in custody until sober before being released with a future court date.

In what was something of a theme for police last week, a West Vancouver man who was reportedly causing a disturbance near Village Square was arrested June 28 for public intoxication.

While police were making the arrest, the 20-year-old allegedly assaulted an officer and fled the scene. He was apprehended shortly after and held in custody until sober.

He was released with a promise to appear in court.

Items reportedly lifted from Rainbow Park building

A commercial building in Rainbow Park is out some valuables after it was reportedly broken into on June 25.

Knapton said “some items” were stolen, but would not provide any further details.

Police are still investigating, and ask anyone with information to contact Whistler RCMP or Crime Stoppers.

Tags: , ,

Speaking of Crime, RCMP

Readers also liked…

Latest in Whistler

More by Brandon Barrett

© 1994-2019 Pique Publishing Inc., Glacier Community Media

- Website powered by Foundation