RCMP investigating fight, stabbing 

click to enlarge news_whistler11.jpg

A fight that started outside a local nightclub at closing time, and continued through the village onto Main Street, escalated into a stabbing.

On Aug. 15, just after 2 a.m., the police received a call about the incident. The suspect stabbed the victim in the abdoment and then fled the scene. Police were unable to locate the suspect, who is described as being his mid-20s, approximately 5'8" and stocky with blonde hair and tattoos on both shoulders. He was not wearing a shirt at the time of attack, but was wearing blue jeans.

The victim was taken to the Whistler Health Care Centre for treatment, and later released with non life-threatening injuries.

If you have any information about the event, contact the Whistler RCMP at 604-932-3044 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Hiker recovered after over a week without food

An experienced backcountry hiker unable to find his first food cache made the decision to stay put and wait until his absence was reported, rather than try to hike to the next cache.

A 51-year-old male from Burnaby was reported missing after he was a day overdue from a two-week hike from Bute Inlet to the Pemberton area, a distance of 92km.

The man hired a helicopter to take him to the start, dropping food caches along the way to make the trip easier.

However, when he failed to turn up at work on Aug. 7, his absence was noted. He had prepared a map with waypoints ahead of time that he left with others that allowed member of Pemberton Search and Rescue to work backwards until they found the man near where he started the trip.

He told his rescuers that he could not find the first food cache, which left him with about three days of food that he survived on until he was rescued.

16 year old tries to evade police

A 16-year-old male from Washington State is facing numerous charges, including dangerous driving and failing to stop for police after a chase in the early hours of Aug. 10.

At 2:40 a.m., the RCMP received a call about an altercation between a man and a number of passengers of a vehicle with Washington State plates. The RCMP attempted to stop the vehicle, but the driver pulled away quickly, failing to stop at the lights or intersection before heading south on Highway 99. The police followed until Panorama Drive, where the vehicle turned around and headed back northbound. The vehicle was clocked going 120km/h in a 60km/h zone, crossing over the centre line of the road. The police elected not to give chase out of concern for public safety.

At last, the police found the vehicle at Muirfield Crescent in Nicklaus North, where they saw the driver exit the passenger side in an attempt to flee — he had damaged the vehicle, registered to his father, during the chase and the driver's door was not operational.

Readers also liked…

Latest in Whistler

More by Andrew Mitchell

© 1994-2019 Pique Publishing Inc., Glacier Community Media

- Website powered by Foundation