RCMP: Lost skiers and boarders returned safely 

Three men report themselves missing in Khyber area

Last week was a busy one for Whistler RCMP and Search and Rescue, with several calls regarding lost skiers and boarders.

On the afternoon of Mar. 17, three men contacted ski patrol and the RCMP to report that they were lost somewhere in the Khyber area. They had gone into the area for one last run at the end of the day, and wound up too far left.

The patrollers stayed in contact with the men, and directed them to ski out to the Cheakamus Lake FSR, where Search and Rescue workers on snowmobiles met them. The three men were brought to the road, where an RCMP vehicle transported them back to their own vehicle at Creekside.

The men are described as a 66-year-old from Whistler, and a 67- and 68-year-old from the U.K.

On Friday, Mar. 18 at 8 p.m. the RCMP received a call regarding three snowboarders lost on the backside of Whistler Mountain. By using the GPS coordinates of a cell phone the ski patrol was able to confirm they were walking in the right direction towards the Cheakamus Lake FSR. All three walked out by 10 p.m., after being lost for more than eight hours. All men were in their mid-20s and from Korea.

On Mar. 21, just before 8 p.m., Whistler Ski Patrol called the police to inform them that two teens were lost on Whistler Mountain, below the access stretching from Harmony Express to the Emerald Express. Search and Rescue were notified and the RCMP booked a helicopter in the morning, but the two hiked up and were located by 11 p.m. A 17-year-old male snowboarder and 17-year-old female skier were returned safely.


Police searching for stolen vehicle

The RCMP were contacted on Monday morning, Mar. 16, regarding a vehicle that was stolen from 2400 Alpine Village, opposite Nordic Estates at Creekside. The vehicle was stolen at some point over the previous week.

The missing car is a grey 1998 BMW 328iS with a Quebec licence plate, G298HC.

If you've seen the vehicle or know anything, contact the Whistler RMCP at 604-932-3044, or Crime Stopper at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).


Drinking drivers continue to be caught

RCMP road checks netted several drivers with alcohol in their systems in the past week.

On Mar. 16 at 11:30 p.m. the RCMP stopped a vehicle at Highway 99 and Hillcrest. The driver admitted to drinking earlier and was given the approved roadside-screening device, where he tested in the "warn" range between 0.05 and 0.08 per cent blood alcohol content. A 57-year-old male from Vancouver was given a three-day driving prohibition and three-day vehicle impound.

On Tuesday, Mar. 17 at 2 a.m. the RCMP stopped a vehicle at Highway 99 and Lorimer Road after weaving on the road. The 22-year-old driver from Whistler failed the roadside test and was given a 90-day prohibition and 30-day vehicle impound.

At 12:30 a.m. on Mar. 18, a road check at Nesters stopped a vehicle and detected an odour of alcohol. The driver admitted to have beer earlier in the evening, and was given the approved screening device where she blew a warn. A 22-year-old Whistler female received a three-day prohibition and three-day impound.

At 2:45 a.m. on Mar. 19, a vehicle was stopped at Highway 99 and Lorimer. The 21-year-old male driver from Whistler tested below a warn with a 0.032 blood alcohol content, but because he was a new driver he was handed a 24-hour driving prohibition and his vehicle was towed.

The police stopped a vehicle on Mar. 20 at 2:20 a.m. after driving through the stop sign at Blackcomb Way and the day skier lots. The police observed an occupant of the vehicle attempting to dispose of a bottle while they were pulling the vehicle over. The driver denied drinking, but tested in the warn range. A 21-year-old male from Vancouver was given a three-day prohibition, three-day impound and a violation ticket for open liquor.

On Mar. 22 at 2 a.m. the RCMP stopped a vehicle and smelled alcohol in the vehicle. The driver was a new driver and not allowed to have any alcohol in his system. The 20-year-old male from Whistler subsequently failed the roadside test and was issued a 90-day driving prohibition and 30-day impound, as well as a ticket for driving contrary to restrictions and a ticket for driving without consideration.


Intoxicated man was walking to the Lower Mainland

At 11 p.m. on Mar. 18 the RCMP observed a male who was stumbling down Highway 99 near Brio. When they stopped to talk to the individual the 33-year-old informed the police that he was walking home - to New Westminster. The police arrested the man for being drunk in public for his own safety and brought him back to the detachment, where he was later picked up by family members. No charges were issued.





Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Readers also liked…

Latest in Whistler

More by Andrew Mitchell

© 1994-2019 Pique Publishing Inc., Glacier Community Media

- Website powered by Foundation