Shooting incident outside Pemberton bar 

Arrests made after altercation

click to enlarge news_whistler6.jpg

A 23-year-old Quesnel, B.C. man was arrested early Saturday, Jan. 12 after attempting to shoot another male outside a Pemberton bar following a verbal altercation.

Police said there were numerous people outside the bar just after 2:30 a.m. when the suspect "appears to have taken exception to something the (intended) victim had said," according to Whistler RCMP Staff Sgt. Steve LeClair, and soon after went to a vehicle to retrieve a .45 calibre handgun. The man then pointed the firearm at the 20-year-old Pemberton male and fired a single shot, missing his intended target, said RCMP.

The suspect fled the area but was quickly apprehended by Pemberton officers. His loaded weapon was later retrieved on the grounds of a nearby elementary school.

LeClair said he's unsure to what extent alcohol played a factor in the attempted shooting, "but the fact that the person had been inside the bar would tend to indicate that some alcohol was involved."

The Quesnel man is known to police, LeClair added, but only for minor incidents.

"It's obviously a very concerning incident and thankfully nobody was injured," said Pemberton Mayor Jordan Sturdy, who added that he understands that Pembertonians may be feeling uneasy following the incident, which came two months after a brutal weapon attack on Balsam Way by a 16-year-old Pemberton male that left another teen with severe injuries.

Sturdy also noted that Saturday's shooting took place outside the Pemberton Hotel bar, although the RCMP was unable to confirm the location of the incident, as they typically don't identify third-party businesses.

The suspect was held in custody for court, LeClair said.

Cash, iPad stolen after hotel break-in

Front desk staff from a Whistler hotel reported a break-in and theft from a room last Wednesday, Jan. 8.

Police attended the Spearhead Drive hotel and found that the suspect appeared to have entered through an unsecured ground-level window and reportedly stole $250 AUD and an iPad.

The RCMP has not identified a suspect and is continuing its investigations.

Man sprayed with bear mace outside Whistler nightclub

A man was reportedly sprayed with bear mace on Friday, Jan. 10 by two unidentified suspects who allegedly attacked him without provocation.

The victim told police he was walking from a village nightclub when he observed two males following him along the roadway to another nearby club, and maced him.

The man was able to provide a vague description of one of the suspects, who he reported as being of unknown race, approximately 180 to 190 centimetres tall with medium-length dark hair, and wearing a plain grey t-shirt. No description was provided of the second alleged suspect.

The RCMP continues to investigate the incident and is asking for any information that may be available. Call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS(8477).



Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Readers also liked…

Latest in Whistler

More by Brandon Barrett

© 1994-2019 Pique Publishing Inc., Glacier Community Media

- Website powered by Foundation