Adult suspect in Whistler stabbing death denied bail 

Police Briefs: Still no sign of missing teen; man seen masturbating

click to enlarge FACEBOOK PHOTO - In MOURNING Over 1,000 people gathered to remember 19-year-old Luka Gordic on Tuesday, May 26, a Burnaby man was stabbed and killed in an attack in Whistler on May long weekend.
  • Facebook photo
  • In MOURNING Over 1,000 people gathered to remember 19-year-old Luka Gordic on Tuesday, May 26, a Burnaby man was stabbed and killed in an attack in Whistler on May long weekend.

An 18-year-old suspect in the stabbing death of Luka Gordic in Whistler on the May long weekend will remain in custody.

Arvin Golic, charged with manslaughter appeared in court May 28, to apply for bail but his case was put over until June 15.

Details of the proceedings are under court ban as three of the accused in the case are youths.

A 17-year-old male remains in custody in connection with the stabbing death, while three other suspects await their next court hearing.

The 19-year-old Gordic died on May 17 after what police said was "an altercation" between two groups of young people who previously knew each other.

Gordic's father, meanwhile, told Pique in an interview last week he believes his son was targeted in a "calculated" attack, possibly for speaking out against drugs in his hometown of Burnaby.

Three 17-year-olds, who as minors cannot be identified, were charged with manslaughter and appeared in court last week. Two have been released on bail, while the third remains in custody.

More than 1,000 people attended Gordic's funeral at a Burnaby cemetery on Tuesday, May 26.

Friends of Gordic's have set up a Facebook memorial page called "Justice for Luka Gordic" that has so far attracted over 15,000 members.

Meanwhile, police have yet to make any arrests in connection with the second stabbing of Whistler's Victoria Day holiday, which occurred just before midnight on May 17.

"We're making progress in that investigation but we have not made any arrests yet," said Whistler RCMP Staff Sgt. Steve LeClair.

A 19-year-old Surrey man is recovering from multiple stab wounds following the incident.

With no new clues, police say missing Aussie teen may have 'met with some misfortune'

It's been a month since 19-year-old Australian Jake Kermond went missing, and police are still no closer to finding him.

Kermond was reported missing on April 30 after staff at a hotel he was staying at noticed his belongings appeared to have been abandoned in his room. He was last seen in the lobby on April 26, when he told the front desk he had lost his wallet and was "short on funds."

Mounties have followed up on a pair of possible sightings, one in Whistler and one in Burnaby, and came up empty-handed.

Kermond's family, who has not heard from him since he disappeared, believes he may have entered the U.S., although Canadian Border Services has no evidence to suggest he did.

Australian federal police have also confirmed with Whistler RCMP that Kermond has not used his bank cards over the last month.

Now, with little else to go on, police have begun calling hospitals throughout the Sea to Sky and Lower Mainland to see if he may have turned up.

"It's possible that he's met with some misfortune," said Staff Sgt. Steve LeClair. "If he doesn't have identification with him (on account of losing his wallet), maybe he hasn't been identified yet, so that's why we're contacting all the hospitals to see if there are any John Does who are injured and not able to say who they are."

Anyone with information on Kermond's whereabouts is asked to call Whistler RCMP at 604-932-3044.

Man reported masturbating along Valley Trail

Two women reportedly observed a man masturbating in the bushes off of the Valley Trail last weekend.

On the afternoon of Sunday, May 24, a woman and her friend were walking when a man standing in the bushes whistled at them, police said.

"They observed he was standing in the bushes with his shorts around his ankles and masturbating," said LeClair.

The man appeared to be in his mid-30s and around 5 foot 8 inches (173 centimetres) in height, witnesses said, with brown hair and a scruffy beard.

The investigation continues.

Tags: ,


Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Readers also liked…

Latest in Whistler

More by Brandon Barrett

© 1994-2019 Pique Publishing Inc., Glacier Community Media

- Website powered by Foundation