Whistler RCMP reminds females to buddy up for party nights 

Police News: Search on for missing Mt. Currie male, guilty plea for nunchuck attack

click to enlarge rcmp-logo-web.jpg

West Vancouver woman arrested for allegedly trying to break into her parents' house

An inebriated woman was arrested for her own safety Saturday night after she was reportedly seen attempting to get into a Whistler house her parents' owned.

The 25-year-old West Vancouver woman was issued a violation ticket for public intoxication and lodged at the Whistler detachment to sober up, police said.

Cpl. Blain also took the opportunity to remind women going out in Whistler to have a good time, but to do so responsibly.

"(Women) really have to mind their environment and be careful to have a buddy system when they go out in the bars," she said. "We've had cases where we've seen females being escorted out by a strange male or a couple strange males, and they're extremely intoxicated - whether it's that they consumed a lot of liquor or something was put in their drink. In either case they're unable to make decisions and this doesn't lead anywhere good.

"It's real in a place like Whistler. It's a party place and we always tell people to be on the lookout for very intoxicated girls to make sure that they're cared for because they're at risk of becoming a victim."

RCMP asking public to look out for missing Mount Currie male

Police, as well as the family of a 52-year-old Mount Currie male, are hoping the public can help bring him back home after he was reported missing on Sunday, June 22.

Although the man is not considered dangerous, police are "concerned for his mental health," said Cpl. Diane Blain. "He wasn't in a good state of mind when he left (Mount Currie)."

The man was driving a red 1994 Chevrolet Commercial pickup truck, with the license plate AX0615, at the time of his departure, and is likely travelling with his dog.

No physical description of the man was provided.

Call the Whistler RMCP Detachment at 604-932-3044 with any relevant information.

Man pleads guilty to assault charges stemming from nunchuk attack

A man pled guilty to assault charges last week stemming from an incident during last year's Whistler May long weekend festivities.

The problems started May 13, 2013 when the man showed up uninvited to a party that police had earlier broken up due to a prohibited backyard fire.

The man returned to the scene later with nunchuks, a prohibited martial arts weapon, and assaulted several males at the residence.

The man was tracked by the assaulted males, and eventually was attacked. A bystander tried to intervene on the man's behalf, but was attacked by the uninvited party guest for his efforts.

As police arrived, the man went back to the site of the earlier party and engaged in another altercation with a male who had armed himself with a shovel. The man, who was reportedly intoxicated, was struck on the head with the shovel.

He received three months of a conditional sentence, as well as conditional probation.

Search of man found smoking pot on the job uncovers two pounds of marijuana

A 34-year-old Pemberton man could soon be facing drug trafficking charges after he was caught smoking pot in his truck at a Function Junction worksite last Tuesday, June 17.

An RCMP General Investigation Section team was in the area when they noticed the man toking up. A subsequent search uncovered an additional two pounds, or 0.9 kilograms, of marijuana.

Not much dirt to report on Tough Mudder weekend

Despite getting dirty on the obstacle course, the thousands of people who took part in last weekend's Tough Mudder races largely kept their hands clean in police's eyes.

The weekend, June 20 to 22, saw just three arrests in Whistler, only two of which were related to the popular mud run, RCMP said.

"I think things were pretty good after hearing from the members who were working that weekend," said Blain.

A 31-year-old Abbotsford man was arrested for public intoxication and causing a disturbance on Saturday night after his wife called to say she was being verbally abused at the Riverside Resort Campground. The man was reportedly uncooperative with police and was lodged in cells overnight.

He was released the following morning without charges.

The second incident involved a 19-year-old Tough Mudder competitor who was found Saturday night in the RCMP detachment parking lot, confused and extremely intoxicated.

"He had no idea where he was or where he was going," Blain said.

The Coquitlam teenager, who police said was not causing a disturbance, was arrested for his own safety and lodged in cells for the night.

No charges were recommended.


Readers also liked…

Latest in Whistler

More by Brandon Barrett

© 1994-2019 Pique Publishing Inc., Glacier Community Media

- Website powered by Foundation