Youth accused in double stabbing 

RCMP answer three violent calls in half an hour

A 24-year-old "good samaritan" from North Vancouver was air lifted to Vancouver General Hospital with stab wounds after attempting to break up a street fight in the early hours of Saturday morning. He was the second of two  people stabbed that morning.

According to the RCMP, they received numerous calls at roughly 2:25 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 14 regarding a stabbing in progress at the corner of Main Street and Northlands Boulevard. They arrived at the scene to find two wounded individuals roughly 15 metres apart.

The suspect, an underage Abbotsford resident who cannot be identified, was quickly caught by the police at the north end of the Marketplace parking lot. He has since been charged with two counts of Assault with a Weapon.

It was almost a homicide charge, as the knife came close to puncturing the heart of one of the victims.

According to the police, a group of four men got into an altercation with two youths, including the suspect. The North Vancouver man saw the fight from across the street and attempted to break it up.

The first victim, a 20-year-old from Burnaby, who was a member of the group of four, was stabbed under his arm with the knife boring into his rib cage. The 24-year-old from North Vancouver was stabbed in the left side of his chest, puncturing a lung. It's believed the youth used two different folding knives in the attack.

The RCMP are still investigating and talking to witnesses. It's not known if the youth had any prior arrests or what precipitated the fight. The suspect will make his first court appearance in North Vancouver on Sept. 15.

It was a busy weekend for the RCMP, which attended between 12 and 20 altercations, most of them on Friday evening/Saturday morning. They received 14 reports of assaults. In addition, there were seven weapons-related charges, including the stabbings.

Two other incidents were reported within half an hour of the stabbing call. In the first, the RCMP received a report of a young man who was attacked in the Benchlands area, and robbed of $40. A number of young people were leaving the scene when the police arrived. No arrests were made.

Shortly after that, at roughly 2:58 a.m., the RCMP attended what sounded like an altercation in Day Lot 3. In this case they found approximately 30 youth leaving the scene. An injured male was later identified as an 18-year-old from Langley.

According to witnesses the man was attacked and stomped by another group of males, leaving him unconscious with blood coming out of his left ear. He may have had his head smacked into the pavement or a vehicle. He woke up a minute later and was taken to the Whistler Health Care Centre for examination. He was diagnosed with a basal skull fracture and was quickly sent on to Vancouver General Hospital.

Readers also liked…

Latest in Whistler

© 1994-2019 Pique Publishing Inc., Glacier Community Media

- Website powered by Foundation