Skip to content
Join our Newsletter

Nova Scotia officials ask people not to use drones around crew fighting wildfires

Nova Scotia officials say the province's largest wildfire in Annapolis Valley remains out of control. The wildfire, which began on Aug. 13, has so far scorched nearly 85 square kilometres of ground.
b279efb39b5f7b40f8f94ead3851c318563b9c503ce6a571cb4d4e5eaaccf37c
An 802 plane drops water near Paradise Lake, which is north of Long Lake, on Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Handout — Province of Nova Scotia (Mandatory Credit)

Nova Scotia officials say the province's largest wildfire in Annapolis Valley remains out of control.

The wildfire, which began on Aug. 13, has so far scorched nearly 85 square kilometres of ground.

Officials say the increase in area of the wildfire from an earlier measurement of around 82 square kilometres is because of more precise measurement, and there has been no new damage reported.

They say while crews are making good progress because of favourable weather, they haven't yet been able to establish a break around the fire to contain it within the boundaries.

"Fire breaks along some sections of the perimeter are nearing completion. Work is focused on the northern end of the fire to prevent spread toward communities and allow firefighters to advance from the outside in to fight the fire," said the social media post.

"Aim is to get evacuees home as soon as possible."

The Department of Natural Resources says 16 of its firefighters, along with 48 from Ontario, 40 from Quebec and 59 local crew, are tackling the blaze with 10 helicopters, six planes and other heavy machinery.

On Thursday, Minister of Emergency Management Kim Masland said 20 homes and at least 11 outbuildings, such as sheds or garages, have been destroyed or seriously damaged by the wildfire.

At least 267 households and 528 people have registered as being evacuees with the Red Cross, she said. Although, she added that's not the full number of those who have been forced to leave their homes in the area.

Officials are also asking people not to fly drones where crews are fighting wildfires in Annapolis Valley.

In a social media post, Department of Natural Resources officials say aircraft are using large spaces around the Long Lake wildfire, and it is unsafe to use drones in the area.

Meanwhile, New Brunswick has two out-of-control wildfires in the province with a total of nearly 23 square kilometres of area burned.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 31, 2025.

The Canadian Press