From now until Sept. 6, guests at Whistler Blackcomb (WB) are challenged to hike the Ascent Trail “as high, as fast and as often as you can,” according to the resort’s latest weekly operations update.
The Helly Hansen Ascent Trail Challenge is open to everyone, but you must have a valid pass or lift ticket to access the gondola.
The rules are simple: The higher you climb, the greater your reward. Participants are asked to record their hike on any tracking app, or on their watch or phone, then submit their results online.
"You’ll be entered to win weekly participation prizes and the Grand Prize: $1,000 of Helly Hansen gear and an Epic Pass," reads a post on WB's website.
Prizes will be drawn every week, with the grand prize draw scheduled for Sept. 6.
"The Blackcomb Ascent Trail consists of three interconnected, uphill hiking trails that meander through beautiful old growth coastal rain forest terrain from Whistler’s valley bottom to the Rendezvous Lodge on Blackcomb Mountain," according to WB. "Upon completion, you will travel a total of 6.2 km with a total elevation gain of 1,200 metres."
Here are some other highlights from this week's ops update. Find it in its entirety here, and remember that all info is subject to change.
• Starting Aug. 14, Bike Park closing hours will be reduced by 15 minutes (not including Peak Express), while the Whistler Village Gondola will close for the season on Sept. 5. Fitz Zone will remain open until Oct. 9.
• Creekside Guest Services is now located in the Creekside Can-Ski.
• Mountain Top Feast returns to Whistler Mountain every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. EDGE Cardholders, Season Pass Holders and Epic Pass Holders receive a 20-per-cent discount on the Feast only when purchased at Guest Services or calling Reservations. Kids 7-12 eat free with the purchase of an adult feast ticket, tots (0-6 years) eat free without additional purchase.
• All alpine hiking trails are now open.
• Blackcomb Gondola now open at 9:30 a.m.
• PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola, Peak Express and the Cloudraker Skybridge are open.
• Sightseeing will upload exclusively via Blackcomb Gondola in Upper Village with the option to download Whistler Village Gondola.
• Feast tickets can begin upload at Whistler Village Gondola from 4:00pm.
• Rolling construction closures are possible. All trails are subject temporary maintenance closures.