Police are investigating an apparent break-in at Whistler Secondary School (WSS) last week, according to a release.
Mounties were first alerted to the forced entry at about 2:30 a.m. last Tuesday, March 26. Several windows were broken and “multiple rooms were ransacked” during the break-in, police said. Investigators believe more than one person was involved and said one of the suspects may have cut their hand or arm during the incident.
Police continue to investigate and are working with school officials to determine what, if anything, was stolen.
“It’s really disappointing that this happened,” said Chris Nicholson, assistant superintendent for School District 48 in a statement that was relayed to Pique. “We’re happy that no one was hurt, and ask anyone who has any information, to contact the RCMP.”
Tips on this incident can be sent to the Whistler RCMP at 604-932-3044, or contact Sea to Sky Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or solvecrime.ca to remain anonymous.
Pemberton man assaults officer, damages cruiser following bar fight, police say
A 22-year-old Pemberton man is facing multiple charges after he allegedly assaulted an officer and damaged a police cruiser following a bar fight last week.
At about 11 p.m. last Tuesday, March 26, Pemberton RCMP responded to a report of a fight that had broken out at a bar in the 7400 block of Frontier Street. Soon after officers arrived on scene, they learned that the suspect had reportedly struck another patron with a glass object prior to being removed from the bar.
The victim subsequently received medical treatment for non-life-threatening injuries, police said.
After being located outside the bar, the suspect reportedly assaulted an officer and damaged a police vehicle during his arrest.
Anyone with information on this incident is asked to contact the Pemberton RCMP at 604-894-6634, or Sea to Sky Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or solvecrime.ca to remain anonymous.
In one week, local RCMP removed 23 impaired drivers from the road
Whistler and Pemberton police were kept busy last week, removing a total of 23 impaired drivers from local roads over the span of just seven days.
Between March 26 and April 2, police issued eight 90-day immediate roadside prohibitions, 12 three-day prohibitions, and three 24-hour suspensions.
“Removing impaired drivers from our communities is a priority for the RCMP and our efforts will continue until such time as folks get the message that it’s just not worth the risk to drive drunk,” the RCMP said in a release. “Avoid being in this situation by having an alternate way to get home after an evening’s celebration—plan not to drink and drive.”
In February, Whistler RCMP Staff Sgt. Paul Hayes presented police stats for 2018 to local municipal council, which showed a 72-per-cent increase in impaired driving infractions compared to the year before. At the time, Hayes said he believes the jump to be due largely to RCMP’s proactive enforcement.
“I don't believe there is necessarily more drivers on the road that are driving impaired ... I think we were more effective last year in catching them,” he said during the Feb. 26 presentation.
In December, new rules increasing penalties for drunk driving and expanding police powers to demand breath samples went into effect across the country. The legislation gives officers the right to ask for a breath sample from any driver they lawfully stop. Previously, officers were required to have a reasonable suspicion that a driver was impaired in order to demand a breath sample.
Civil rights groups have warned that the new rules could lead to baseless searches that may unfairly single out minorities who have historically been disproportionately targeted by police. Federal officials have said they expect the legislation to be challenged in court.