Skip to content
Join our Newsletter
Join our Newsletter

Whistler Blackcomb conditions: alpine closed; expect delays

Avalanche danger high in Sea to Sky; post-storm cleanup underway
Whistler Blackcomb is urging patience and caution as it works to clean up, post-storm.

Storm cycles that drenched Whistler in recent days have let up and winds have subsided at Whistler Blackcomb (WB), meaning the mountain operator is working to get all lifts running again.

"We are now preparing and clearing our lift rework post-storm. As such, guests should expect some delays," WB said in a Dec. 27 Instagram post.

Avalanche control teams have also been busy in the alpine today "conducting essential mitigation work," but due to "challenging conditions," the alpine won't open today.

"The highest lifts available today will be the top of Village Gondola (Whistler) and potentially the top of 7th—south side (Blackcomb). However, 7th is still a maybe at this point as work continues," the post read.

"Skiers and snowboarders should also be aware that Avalanche Canada has turned their rating to high in our region. Backcountry access is restricted to all-weather access/egress points."

Extensive post-storm cleanup is underway on-mountain, according to WB, and guests should expect open water, downed trees and man-made obstacles in some locations.

"As such, please be aware that inconsistent grooming patterns and variable conditions are present," the post read. "Patrol is asking that all guests please stick to open, groomed runs and only venture further if fully prepared."

Ski-outs are also expected to be congested today, and WB is urging guests to exercise caution and take their time getting off the mountain.

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks