Skip to content
Join our Newsletter
Join our Newsletter

RCMP: police injured in village scrap

Male arrested for obstructing, assaulting police officer

One officer has a black eye and the other a sprained thumb after an incident escalated in the village in the early morning hours on Nov. 3.

According to a police report an RCMP foot patrol was walking through the village at roughly 2:30 a.m. when a male grabbed an officer from behind, putting his arm around the officer's neck. Because of the weapons they carry on their tool belts, RCMP are wary of that kind of contact and proceeded to lecture the male for his actions. During the discussion a second male, who was intoxicated, attempted to drag the first male away from the police. The police told him to back off and stay clear, but he maneuvered around police and tried to grab his friend.

The police intervened, and the incident turned into an altercation where one officer received a black eye and the other a scrape on his leg and a sprained thumb.

The first male was released and the second male was arrested for obstructing and assaulting a police officer. He was held until sober, then released on a promise to appear in court in North Vancouver on Nov. 7.

The arrested man is described as a Squamish resident in his mid-20s.

The police considered charges against the first male as well, but they believed he intended it as a joke.

Sergeant Shawn LeMay of the Whistler RCMP said that type of incident happens too often, and warned members of the public to give police officers space and to avoid physical contact.


Thrown ice chunk results in stitches

The RCMP is still investigating after a visitor to the resort was injured by an ice chunk thrown over a fence at a hotel in the resort.

The injured male was in the hot tub with his wife when the ice chunk hit him in the face hard enough to require stitches to his lower lip. They did not see who threw the ice chunk and there were no witnesses. The police did patrol the area but there was nobody in the vicinity.

The incident occurred at roughly 10 p.m. on Oct. 4. If you have any information, contact the RCMP at 604-932-3044 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).


Village fights keep police busy

The police attended several altercations in the village last week, including an incident where a man suspected of stealing a jacket threatened to get a gun and was subsequently knocked out by a third party when he reached into his pocket.

That incident took place on Nov. 4 at 2 a.m. outside a nightclub. According to statements from the scene, others apprehended two men while trying to steal a jacket from the nightclub. There was a verbal argument outside, and one of the suspected thieves threatened that he would shoot someone.

At that point he appeared to be reaching for something in his pocket, at which point a third party not related to the jacket struck the man across the head with an open hand, knocking the male unconscious. That's when the police arrived at the scene.

Emergency services were called and the man was taken to the hospital for evaluation before he was released.

No charges have been laid at this time, but police are continuing to investigate.

On Nov. 6 at 1:05 a.m. the RCMP came across a fight outside a nightclub with roughly eight people involved. The officers intervened and discovered that an unknown male had punched another male with another group. The RCMP detained two suspects, but they were released without charges.

At 2:35 a.m. the same evening an RCMP foot patrol came across a fight in progress outside a local nightclub that spilled into a nearby alley. They saw a male with a ripped t-shirt in an altercation with the bar manager.

According to reports, the male in the t-shirt was ejected from the bar for being intoxicated and causing problems with other customers. He was escorted from the area by police and released.